It is essential to choose the right sewing machine (brand) for you, especially if you are a serious hobbyist. Juki is a well-known brand that is committed to technological advancements and innovation in the sewing machine industry. And this Juki DDL-700 is a heavy-duty, versatile industrial-level sewing machine.
This is a very solid machine and has enough power for “heavy-duty” sewing projects. This Juki DDL-8700 sewing machine can handle industrial-level tasks and still be used for home projects. Whether it is hemming pants or hemming drapes, this machine performs outstanding.
This machine is able to handle medium to heavy fabrics thanks to its powerful motor. And it is an excellent choice for skilled sewists who have enough knowledge of straight stitch machines.
Also, this machine comes with a max stitch length of 5 mm and a fast sewing speed of 5,500 spm, so you can create a wide range of quality hems quickly.
But its weight is another concern. People who move their home sewing machines from time to time may find it hard to carry the machine, but a good carrying case comes in handy.
In this article, we will review the Juki DDL-700’s features that it offers to its buyers. We hope that this article will allow you to make your decision easier, so read on!
What We Like About
- This machine can be used for industrial and heavy sewing. With a solid platform, you will be able to work more safely on your projects.
- Another wonderful benefit is this machine has an ultra-fast sewing speed of 5500 spm, you can complete your project faster.
- For your customer’s safety, this machine features an electronic speed control that ensures the proper maximum sewing speed at all times. This is also great because it reduces the chance of accidents.
- This machine comes with a max stitch length of 5mm, which means you can do a lot of different sewing tasks.
- This machine boasts a generous arm space of 11 inches, which allows users to work freely on any size project.
- Although it’s an industrial sewing machine, it is easy-to-use and designed for beginners.
What We Don’t Like
- It weighs over 28 kg and is difficult to transport.
- This machine will require a lot of space. You should consider the best location for this machine.
- This machine was made to only provide straight and simple stitches. It is not designed for creating intricate patterns or details on garments.
- When using multiple layers of fabric, you need to go slow, so the needle doesn’t bog down or break thread.
- Dimensions: 48 x 36 x 48 inches
- Application: Medium-weight
- Machine Weight: 28 kg
- Maximum Sewing Speed: 5,500 stitches per minute
- Warranty: 5-year limited warranty
- Auto-lubrication system
- Uses Organ DBx1 needles (same as 16×231) or around sizes 9 to 18
- 11-inch arm space from neck to needle
- 1/4-inch presser foot lift by a hand lever
- Presser foot lift by knee lever
- Max. stitch length: 5mm
- Needle bar stroke: 30.7mm
- Lift of the presser foot by hand: 5.5mm
- Lift of the presser foot: 13mm
- Bobbins: #270010
- Feed dog: 4-row (3-row)
- Hook: Automatic-lubricating full-rotary hook
Who Is Juki DDL 8700 For?
- The Juki DDL-8700 is not the right machine for beginners. Because this machine’s 5,500 SPM sewing speed is too high for novice sewists. But the machine’s speed combined with its stitch quality make it a great choice for professional seamstresses, dressmakers, and serious sewists.
- It is durable and has professional qualities, so these machines are often seen in fashion and art schools.
- It is used for both art and fashion school, as well as industrial purposes.
- It is a popular choice for entrepreneurs who want to start a clothing- or sewing-related business.
- The 8700 is highly recommended for anyone involved in fashion, apparel, or manufacturing.
- The 8700 is a great tool for tailors and clothing shops. Although it does require some practice, once you are comfortable with the process, you will love it.
Juki DDL-8700 Features
Fast Sewing Speed
The maximum sewing speed of this industrial sewing machine is 5,500 stitches per minute, which is an impressive number for such an affordable sewing machine. This machine was designed to be fast and efficient sewing to enable professional seamstresses the ability to work in large quantities (while the stitch quality is maintained regardless of how fast you go).
Maximum Stitch Length
The Juki DDL-8700’s maximum stitch length is 5 mm, meaning that there are at most 6 stitches per inch, which allows users to personalize their projects.
Drop Feed and Four Row Feed Dog Systems
A feed dog is a sewing machine part that grabs the fabric and moves it along the machine to make fabric feeding easier. With not one but four feed dogs, it’s possible to feed any fabric through your machine quickly and easily. The drop feed systems of Juki DDL-8700 allow you to do free-motion quilting and thread art sewing.
This machine has the advantage of allowing users to select the motor it comes with. You can choose from a standard clutch motor or a servomotor. The most common motor you will see in an industrial machine is the clutch motor. Although it is less expensive than the servo, this motor will not allow you to control your stitch speed.
But with the servo motor, you will get quiet operation and precise speed control. And it is also more energy-efficient.
And Juki’s servo motor is what makes it stand out from other industrial sewing machines on the market. The 110-volt servo-motor is extremely quiet, so you don’t need to worry about sewing at all hours of the day. You can also adjust the speed of your stitching using a variable dial rheostat.
Presser Foot Knee Lift
It also includes a knee lift for the presser foot to allow users to have hands-free control. This can also be used to remove bulky seams. The maximum presser foot lift is 1/2 inch at the knee lever and 1/4 inch at the hand lever, which is very similar to the DDL-8500 models.
Oil Reservoir for Automatic Lubrication
The auto-lubrication system makes maintenance easy, thanks to the included wet bath reservoir that stores the oil. Keep an eye on the oil reservoir to ensure that it is filled to its maximum capacity.
Juki DDL-8700 included a specially made table measuring 48 x 20 x 36 inches to accommodate the machine’s bulky dimensions. The machine is attached to the table with hinges for easy lifting and checking of the oil reservoir.
Thread Foot Control
Thread foot control is very flexible that allows you to adjust the speed of your machine at will. Its full-foot feature also reduces leg and foot fatigue.